Tuesday 20 May 2008

Coughing at the opera

The news that the organisers of the Glyndebourne festival have accepted sponsorship from the cigarette firm British American Tobacco (BAT) is appalling. I must admit that, although I do quite enjoy a lot of opera music, I haven't been a member of Glyndebourne's audience, however I don't think that disqualifies me from having an opinion on this. I feel very strongly about the tobacco industry. I cannot think other than that anyone connected with the trade of this deadly drug is in fact morally guilty of manslaughter at the least and those, at the top, who deliberately mislead their users of the dangers are guilty of mass murder. Not content with trying to expand their sales in the third world they are now finding loopholes in the 2002 Tobacco Advertising and Promotion Act in the UK. The fact that they are using a prestigious art festival to do this somehow makes it worse. One would expect the organisers of an event that has at its focus singers at the top of their profession using their lung capacity to make beautiful music to have some conscience about paying for it with money made by immoral poisoners intent on lining their pockets on by killing people they've persuaded to become addicted to their disgusting drug.

No comments: