Wednesday 21 May 2008

The NHS at William Harvey Hospital

The NHS (National Health Service) has featured a lot in the news in the last two weeks. Much of it has been headline type reporting on peoples experience of the service provided. I realise that it is dangerous for me to extrapolate from my single experience, but it did occur to me that there would be a difference between the truthful answers I would give to various questions that are always foremost in reports and my real perception.
For instance: Were you in a mixed ward, answer yes. However this needs to be put into context. The ward was divided into bays which acted like small wards. My bay had six beds and six men. None of the bays were mixed and the only time I entered a female bay was when I was properly dressed and went through with a Physiotherapist to practice my abilities on stairs. I am sure that for all relevant purposes the ward behaved as if it was single sex.
Was the bathroom you used mixed. Yes both sexes used it, but it was individual and as far as I could tell caused not embarrassment to either sex.
How did I rate the food. To be honest it was a lower standard than I am used to on a daily basis at home, however it was perfectly adequate and I was there for an operation not a gourmet meal.
The staff were industrious, efficient, kind and helpful. So overall the NHS gets a really positive vote from me.
How long did I wait. Once I had reached the stage that Mr Yani had told me would happen,when he performed an arthoscopy in 2002 it was only a matter of six weeks to get a consultation and then a further four to the operation. I think that this is quite reasonable. I realise that time wasn't critical in this case, and for other conditions any wait would be important. I can only comment on my experience which was positive. Thank you William Harvey Hospital.
I get the feeling that many media outlets would much prefer a failing service to criticise rather than one to praise.

No comments: